Welcome to the Department of Botany
The Graduate and Postgraduate program in Botany is design with objectives to encourage and support the present needs, demands and challenging trends in the educational scenario. The program focuses on the all-round development of the students to face the competitive world. The program in Botany is design to equip the students with essential knowledge and technical skills to study plants in a holistic manner. Students would be train in all areas of Plant sciences using a unique combination of core and elective papers with significant interdisciplinary components. Students would be expose to cutting-edge technologies that are currently use in the study of plant life forms, their evolution and interactions with other organisms and with the ecosystem. Students would also become aware about the social and environmental significance of plants and their relevance to the national economy.
Department of Botany is one the oldest department of Plant Science. Graduate program was established in 1948 under the leadership of Prof. Ramlal Nirula and postgraduate programme in 1958 under the leadership of Prof. V.R. Dnyansagar. Many renowned Head of Departments and teachers have given their services to this department are Dr. K.V. Varhadpande Dr. P.R. Deshpande, Smt. L. S. Hazarnavis Prof. M.V. Mirashi, Prof. R. N. Dhamdhere, Dr. R. M. Pai, Prof. G.V. Patil, Prof. S. B. Dalal, Dr. M. A. Dhore, Shri. A.T. Kapuskar, Shri. S. D. Bhusari, Shri. A. V. Bhide, Dr. S.T. Tilak, Shri. C.D. Mahajan, Dr. V.L. Bakale, Dr. U.S. Chaudhari Shri. A. R. Kulkarni, Shri D. D. Wakode, Dr. Kamal Ingle, Dr. Prabha Bhogaonkar, Dr. Satish N. Malode
Now Department offers Graduates, Post Graduates, Master of Philosophy and Doctoral degree programmes as per the guidelines of University Grant Commission. There are typically 120 students are enrolled for Graduate, 30 students for Post Graduate and 30 students for research program. Approximate 800 applications for UG, 450-550 applications for PG received annually. Our student’s experiences diverse field of basic and applied Plant sciences across the disciplines – Cell and Molecular biology, Plant diversity Plant systematics, Cytology and Genetics, Mycology, Plant Physiology, Bioprospecting, Environmental Science, Plant Biotechnology, Genetic Engineering, Plant breeding and Research training. It is because of basic plant science with its application for solving various Plant Science solution demand a multifaceted view. It is because of diversified disciplines and interdisciplinary training enhances our students’ success in various national competitive examinations and finding employment and flourishing in various fields.
- To inspire students, make them creative with the emergence of knowledge in the areas of basic and applied branches of botany through teaching and research.
- Our Vision is to conduct innovative research, teaching and outreach on the patterns and basic and applied processes of life with a focus on plants and their environments.
- Our mission is to foster an environment of excellence by attracting and supporting the students.
- We focus on the patterns and processes that enable predictive understanding of plants and their environments at local, regional, and global scales, leading to strengths in the areas of Life science.
- To create an environment conductive to creativity, innovation, team spirit and entrepreneurial leadership.
- To inculcate a sense of discipline and responsibility towards nature and society.