Welcome to the Department of Psychology
Psychology has come a long way from the shadow of Philosophy to establish itself as a leading behavioural science. After a lot of soul searching and mind-boggling efforts, psychologists have made a conscious effort to focus on behaviour and cognitive process. The department of Psychology at GVISH was established in 1955. The post graduate course was started from 1977. It is one of the oldest departments in Vidarbha Region. Stalwarts like Dr. Ravi Pandit, Dr. V. V. Jogawar, Dr. Pendharkar, Dr. R. R.Borude, took pains in establishing the department in formative years. It also renders assistance in day-to-day life setting in schools, colleges, industries, sports, community, organization and media amongst others.
The department offers B.A. Psychology and M.A. Psychology degree course. Recent year U.G. and P.G. course is started as per CBCS (Choice Based Credit System). The department has a well-established laboratory with up-to date Psychological Tests, Apparatus and Equipments. Departmental library has 395 books and journals. The staff is focussed to provide quality education and research guidance to students. Vocational guidance and Counselling is given to the needy students and people from various sectors of the society. Research facilities for doing Ph.D are provided with One supervisor Dr.Rahul B.Barve. The department has an enriched legacy of Stalwarts. Presently, Dr. Rahul B. Barve (Head – Department of Psychology) and Prof. V. K. Shelke are two faculty members, working in the department.
- The department of psychology and Mental Rehibition Centre are collaboration to started licence base degree courses for students.
- Psychology faculty are expected to be competent for giving quality base education for students.
- The department of psychology is offered various counselling courses for students.
- To cultivate in student professional ethics a sense of social responsibility, cultural sensitivity and good citizenship in globalised world.
- To engage in high quality and high impact research both within & across disciplines.
- To cultivate collegiality and support for the career development of staff.
- Case study of contemporary problems in the field of Industrial and Clinical Psychology.
- Interaction of students with alumni and prominent resource person to seek Guidance and knowledge about various applied fields of Psychology.
- UG and PG program provides a foundation for scientific understanding of behaviour and mental process and promotes scholarship and services.
- Assessment of psychological test like intelligence, personality, depression and mental health and other etc of faculty, employees and students of the college.
- The Department of Psychology aspires to be leader in the Asia –Pacific region of Psychology in education and related fields and be at the cutting edge of scientific research, development and teaching in Psychology.